Sunday, January 01, 2006

Here We Are...Now Entertain Us

It's 2006. I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday it was 1986--the year of the Mets. How can that be 20 years ago? That's sick. I wasn't even alive 20 years before 1986. I always have a problem refusing to believe the world existed before my birth. How self-indulgent of me.

Sera and I rented a couple of movies last night: "Van Helsing" and "Star Wars Episode 3." Universal Studios has a horror exhibit based on the "Van Helsing" film. It always looked so cool and we've been meaning to rent it. Plus it has Kate Beckinsale--one of my top 5 lust women. The first scene of the flick was great--excellent effects, nice touch with the black and white. Then came a ridiculous scene where he fights Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Terrible effects, many flaws in the scene.

Then my phone rang. It was Tom. Sera and I were planning to blow off his New Year's party. It was nice to relax and just watch movies last night. I figured Tom would be so drunk he wouldn't notice my absence. Guess I was wrong. So we stopped our movie night and drove over there at 10:30.

There weren't nearly as many people there as planned. Only about 30 or so. The highlight for me was watching the reunion of The Bangles on TV. I loved The Bangles in the '80s and have always been disappointed that I never got to see them(I have the same problem with The Go-Go's). I hope they go on tour and play down here.

As for the party--got flashed by a few girls--that's always nice. Men are so easy to please. Met a strange woman, Rachel, who apparently works with me. She's only been there a month so I didn't know her. Rachel kept saying how she hadn't been kissed in years and didn't want anyone to kiss her.
"I usually leave New Year's parties at 11:30 for that reason," she blurts out.
"But all you guys are typical in that none of have you have even asked why."
I speak up. "Okay, why do you usually leave at 11:30?"
"I'm not answering that. It's very personal."
Stupid woman.

I told Rachel she reminded me of the '70's actress P.J. Soles. P.J. was a cult star in films like "Halloween," "Carrie" and "Stripes." Rachel never heard of her but took offense.
"Oh, so I remind you of a girl who gets killed in 'Halloween.' Thanks a lot."
Isn't the point that she looks like an actress, not the fact that the actress dies in a film?

Then Rachel says most men are evil(I'm evil because I don't wear a wedding ring, despite my wife standing by my side all night). She got into a nasty argument with my friend, Mark, in the kitchen. Then as I'm leaving I see the two of them head upstairs together. Total psycho girl. Even Tom, who was his usual drunk self, had enough wits left to whisper, "that girl's a whacko."

Sera, always the astute woman, points out that Rachel just wants attention. The arguing, the stupid comments--it all just keeps the attention on herself. At least I don't work in her department. I can just give the obligatory 'hello' on Tuesday.

As Sandra, one of my managers, was leaving I asked her to give me my birthday present--a couple of flashes of her boobs in the kitchen. The look on Rachel's face was priceless.

It was an interesting evening considering I was only there 2 1/2 hours. And I didn't get too drunk--so now I can enjoy my b-day pain free.

3 Comments:

Blogger tim said...

I can't tell 100% if the post title is in regards to your audience, but if it is, I have had that same feeling before.

Beckinsale is a fantastic Top 5 choice. I am curious to see who the other 4 are.

Rachel sounds like a wacko but a wacko that will put out if you are willing to listen to her shit for long enough. Or so it seems...

Happy Belated Birthday! It seems like you already have received a good present (the flashes from Sandra). BUt don't you think it is weird how people from work always manage to do things at parties that you know they will regret the next day. I have gotten drunk at work events but I always keep in mind that I am at a work event.

4:43 AM  
Blogger exley said...

I thought I put a comment here but I don't see it. So at the risk of being redundant here it is again:

The title of the post has a double meaning:
1. Here we are in a new year...what entertaining things will happen in the world.
2. Sera and I dragged ourselves from the comfort of our couch to Tom's party--so we'd better be entertained.

But your idea about the audience also holds true--I hadn't thought of that.

Sandra isn't the type of woman to regret her flashing. It wasn't the first time she's done that to me. That's why I was able to simply ask, "Hey, Sandra, can I have my birthday present before you leave?" She knew exactly what I meant and didn't mind that my wife and others were standing alongside me.

I'm curious to find out what happened with Rachel and Mark at the party. I'll have to ask Tom at work tomorrow.

My top 5, in no particular order:
1. Kate Beckinsale
2. Keira Knightley
3. Nicole Kidman
4. Jennifer Garner
5. Gwyneth Paltrow

11:30 AM  
Blogger tim said...

Nicole Kidman is on these Chanel No. 5 billboards all over Paris and they are simply amazing. I have never seen her look as attractive.

Here is a link:
http://www.popmatters.com/tv/reviews/c/chanel-no5.shtml

And as I was trying to find this link there seems to be a mini-movie shot around the ad. I do not know if it is being shown since I have not watched TV in months.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home