Monday, February 13, 2006

Capote

Saw "Capote" on Saturday. It's a film I've been wanting to see for a few months, but living on the fringes of the real world here in Orlando it was an impossibility. Films like this don't make it to fantasyland. But now that it's received several Oscar nods Orlando has deemed it worthy enough to show.

I can see why Philip Seymour Hoffman was nominated for Best Actor. I've always been a fan of his. His protean skills range from effiminate Scotty in "Boogie Nights" to my favorite role of his, the pompous pseudo-intellect Freddie in "The Talented Mr. Ripley." He was thoroughly convincing as the flamboyant egocentric Capote.

The film was a bit slow at points and I wished they went into the Clutter murders a bit more. I'm sure the directors didn't want to recreate "In Cold Blood" as the story deals more with Truman than the killers, but it would have made a more startling climax to the film. I get obsessed with heinous crimes such as this one, and I've researched the Clutters and the killers for several years. I'd love to ride out to Kansas some time to visit the scene.

I've started writing again. A friend came over Friday night to read over parts of my book, and she was impressed. I still feel that friends and family are biased, but who else is there for opinions? She convinced me that the story reads smoothly and quickly, and that it's easy to relate to. Maybe it will be decent, but it's certainly no Capote. But the important thing is that I'm back on it. Once again I'm hoping to work on it every day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Charlotte said...

glad to hear you've started on your book again...good luck!! i'm going to Orlando this weekend...has the weather been nice?! ahh i hope so. we just had a huuuge blizzard here!

7:00 PM  
Blogger exley said...

Hey there Charlotte,
Right now it's freezing in Orlando--night temps in the 30's. Highs are in the low 40's. But you should be in luck--it should get up to 80 this weekend! What are you coming down here for?

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home