Monday, February 20, 2006

A New Direction

My book has taken a new direction. It reads better, it's more interesting and it's more fun to write. I have to thank Henry over at Ash Tree for his helpful advice.

Funny how advice like that works. A few years back I was getting tons of reject slips for travel stories and articles. Despite having read a few good writing books I just couldn't get it. Then I took a writing course(the one I had in college was crap) on-line. I was a bit skeptical about this but figured it should be better than nothing. I was told to cut down on the adverbs and adjectives. My next submitted piece to a magazine was published. Despite having read in books to cut down on adjectives and having agreed with it, I was still over using them without realizing it. The same was true with my book. I knew there was something missing but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Henry took a look and pointed out the obvious--something I quite obviously knew about but couldn't see. Now my story is progressing and it's more enjoyable to write. I feel so much better about it.

My website is coming along nicely too. I can't wait to get the new beta version up soon. The current version looks so antiquated it's almost embarrassing. It should be up in a couple of weeks. I've been so productive lately. My job gets in the way, though. If I didn't have to spend 40 hours a week here(plus more for commuting and the tiredness factor when I get home) I could get so much more done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home