Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Candy Girl

Diablo Cody was on Letterman the other night. She wrote a book, "Candy Girl," which is about her life as a stripper for a year. I never read her infamous blog "The Pussy Ranch," but did enjoy her book. David Letterman asked her what made her leave her job in advertising and try stripping. She responded, "I was sitting around bored at my desk and I thought, 'I'd rather be naked.'" I like people like that. These are the people that realize life is meant to be an adventure. There's so much more to life than just going to school, getting a job, rising up the corporate ladder while raising a family. While those things are all fine, you're missing so much if that's all you do. I hate sitting at my desk all day and I would rather be naked. But I have lived quite an adventurous life. I'm just in a holding pattern at the moment. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything.

What I really liked about Diablo's interview was when Dave asked why she chose to strip at the seediest places. She responded with something like, "it's too dull to go to 'Gentleman's Clubs'. If you're going to do it then do it hard." That's gutsy. I always enjoyed visiting seedy places just for the novelty of it(okay, maybe "enjoyed" was the wrong word choice). Before Sera and I left NYC for good we purchased the "Sex Guide to NY" and visited as many bizarre and seedy places as we could find. It wasn't because we were into that type of thing, but because those places were unusual. And we probably weren't going to find these places anywhere else. Some places we visited more than once because they were so bizarre that they were kind of fun, and some we left after 15 minutes because we felt uncomfortable. But we're glad we went. It's like that old cliche, "I'd rather look back on my life and say, 'I wish I had never done that instead of I wish I had done that.'"

Diablo seemed very composed during her interview and I was impressed by it. And I have to applaud someone who finished college and was climbing up a career ladder but had enough sense to realize it wasn't for her. You should do whatever makes you happy. It's sad to see people stuck in a hum-drum life who think they can't get out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home