Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Books and Baseball

I'm reading Capote's "In Cold Blood." It was one of those books I was assigned to read in high school but never did finish. However, I did become obsessed with the story over the years. Looked up the actual events in old newspapers and then on-line when the Internet came around. I'd love to take a ride out to Holcomb one day to visit the site. They were getting about 200 curioseekers a year to view all the paraphenalia, but I'm sure that's increased since the movie "Capote."

I finished reading "The Talented Mr. Ripley" over the weekend. It was interesting noting the differences from the film and the movie. P. Seymour Hoffman's character, Freddie, is barely in the book. But he's the most memorable figure in the film--what a great actor. I liked the movie up until the end. It would have been better had they edited out the last scene of Tom and his new gay lover on the Greek cruise. That scene isn't even in the book and it just causes the film to drag on too long and leave many open ended questions. In fact, his new lover is barely mentioned in the book.

I've been watching "The Office" lately, but mostly for lack of anything better to watch. It has its moments but doesn't even hold a candle to the British version. I can watch those over and over.

Also been watching "The Amazing Race." That's the only reality show I have any respect for. It's fun watching people show up in Moscow in the middle of winter during the night trying to talk to a cab driver. I'd love to be on a show like that.

As for Fantasy Baseball, I'm having my usual day after Opening Day complaints. Why did I drop David Ortiz at the last minute on Sunday? I knew he'd explode in Texas. And now he's facing Vicente Padilla tonight--should be another big day for Ortiz, and another day of my stomach turning in knots watching. There were just too many first basemen out there and not enough OF's. In another league I dropped Chris Shelton of Detroit at the last minute because I thought he'd be batting 8th. Instead he bats 6th and belts 2 HRs. Dropped Ramon Hernandez because he was batting 9th, and he goes 3 for 3 with 2 RBIs. But I have to remind myself that it's only 1 game out of 162. It should be a long and rocky roller coaster ride this season.

I ordered "Fantasyland" by Sam Walker from the library. I read parts of it in the bookstore on Sunday and was just rolling in laughter. It's about a sportswriter who participates in the most exclusive fantasy league in the country. He tries to use his connections with ballplayers and GM's to influence the performance of his fantasy players. He almost convinces Toronto's GM to trade one of his fantasy players to Pittsburgh in order to get more playing time. Brings charts to Alan Trammell of Detroit showing how to better utilize one of his pitchers; talks to Alfonso Soriano about stealing more bases. Near the end of the season he flies to Los Angeles to picket in front of the hotel where the Angels are staying in order to remove Jose Guillen's team suspension, and has an altercation with Troy Percival while doing so. It looks like a real fun read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home