Friday, April 07, 2006

Early Season Thoughts

The first 3 games of the Mets' season have been quite eventful. Last night's little debacle with Washington had plenty of beanballs and a slight altercation between Pedro and Jose Guillen. I understand Guillen's anger as well as those of the rest of his teammates--getting hit 6 times is a bit annoying and painful. But Washington must realize that first of all, Brian Bannister was making his first ML start in 40 degree temperatures. I saw Bannister pitch in a spring training game in late March against Houston and he was all over the place. Curves in the dirt, two hit batters, etc. It was a rare cold day in Florida, and that may have had something to do with it. A rookie in his first ever start is not going to hit anyone. As for Pedro, it must be taken into account that he is not 100%. He pitched 6 innings this spring and is not in top form.

So my thoughts on the Mets? They're just where I thought they'd be. They still have no 2nd baseman. Hernandez can field, but they need a bat in that position. And I don't see Kaz Matsui as being a great improvement when he returns. I feel there's something wrong with Billy Wagner. This is a pitcher who routinely has arm problems, and I can sense that something isn't right. Wagner can bring it up to 100 mph when he's at his peak. He hasn't thrown a pitch past 93 yet. And after giving up Ryan Zimmerman's bomb the other night (1st big league homerun!), Wagner threw 95% curves the rest of the night. Wagner missed 2 weeks of spring training and he may not be where he needs to be as yet. Hopefully that's all it is, otherwise it's going to be even rockier than I expected.

And here's the line I really liked: Kris Benson pitched 7 solid innings in his first outing for the O's. Jorge Julio got rocked in his 1 inning of relief, taking the loss. What the hell was Omar Minaya thinking in that trade? As a result of that blunder the Mets were forced to use a pitcher making his MLB debut in just the 2nd game of the season. Not too many pennant caliber teams have to resort to that. At least we still have Steve "I can't believe I'm still playing" Trachsel taking the hill tonight.

Xavier Nady's off to a hot start, but that's to be expected. Last season he was leading the league in every category the first 2 weeks of the season, but finished at his usual .260BA with 12 home runs. He should start tailing off by next week, but
at least we can enjoy it while it lasts.

And what about Carlos Beltran last night? I've never seen a player looking so unhappy after hitting a home run. I know he's the shy, reserved type of player, but then why the hell did he choose to come to NY? This ain't K.C. He needs to take the boos with a grain of salt. As long as he looks like he's having fun out there the fans will cheer him on. But if he continually looks stoical and reserved, it's going to be a long, bitter war. Beltran is still young and can have a big impact, but this thing may get ugly if he doesn't lighten up.

I enjoyed watching the Braves series in L.A. Their pitching looks atrocious. I have to wonder how much an impact the loss of Leo Mazzone will have on their staff over the course of a full season. I also enjoyed watching the Phillies get swept by St. Louis. I have the feeling the NL East is going to be the Wild, Wild East this year--a 5 year fight for the top most of the season, with no team running away early or even posting a decent record.

As for my fantasy team, my offense is doing quite well but my pitching is a disaster. It'll take some time to get my ERA down, barring any more blow outs this weekend. I'm going to do some extra analysis this weekend to make sure I have a good week next time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love beltran!
what do you mean he wasnt happy?? and what do you know about baseball anyway?? huh huh?? unlike some other baseball players (derek jeter) beltran is a good sport and doesn't like to rub a win in the other team's face.

#15 #15 #15 #15 #15 #15 #15 #15 #15

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about Carlos Beltran last night? I've never seen a player looking so unhappy after hitting a home run. I know he's the shy, reserved type of player, but then why the hell did he choose to come to NY? This ain't K.C. He needs to take the boos with a grain of salt. As long as he looks like he's having fun out there the fans will cheer him on. But if he continually looks stoical and reserved, it's going to be a long, bitter war. Beltran is still young and can have a big impact, but this thing may get ugly if he doesn't lighten up.


I honestly think that Beltran was very happy. He was in a very serious slump and to hit that home run, it must have felt great. What is the difference between Kansas City and New York. Yes, The New York teams tend to be a little more into the game then other teams, but that should have any affect on the players themselves. Anyway, maybe he is having fun. Just because you saw only a few quick glimpses of him on the t.v. looking like anyone else does doesnt mean he isnt happy. Who said Beltran wont have a great rest of a season? If he isnt smiling he wont be good anymore? Next time, I think you shouldn't judge someone too quickly.

3:20 PM  
Blogger tangylizzterine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home